Street Outreach Youth Care Worker
Job Title: Outreach Youth Care Worker (Part Time, Non Exempt)
Program: CAPTAIN Outreach Program
Reports to: Street Outreach Manager
Job Category: Specialist
Works with individuals and groups to promote positive physical, social and emotional health and safety. May help individuals deal with issues associated with addictions and substance abuse, human trafficking, homelessness, the justice system, family, parenting, stress management, self-esteem and aging. May provide educational assistance, referrals for professional assistance, and/or direct recreational activities.
Provide services and referrals to disenfranchised youth in efforts to provide them with positive and constructive activities that assist them in safely exiting the streets. This will include direct contact with youth in a variety of settings including Outreach Centers and the streets of local communities in keeping with CAPTAIN policies and procedures and grant requirements.
Starting Salary: $12.30/hour – no more than 26 hours/week
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Offer youth referrals to agencies in and around the Counties we serve.
• Offer youth food, hygiene products and clothing as available.
• Assist with CAPTAIN activities throughout our many programs.
• Provide Street Outreach Project services under direction of Street Outreach Project Manager.
• Transport youth when necessary (job, appointment, weekend activity)
• Build rapport with youth and find opportunities to interact with them in an effort to build trust
• Interact in all activities that are suitable to building relationships with youth.
• Provide appropriate interventions in order to quell any crisis while at Outreach Centers
• Complete and document a minimum of 20 hours of job-related training per year.
• Serve as a liaison for CAPTAIN Shelter services
• Responsible for extra cleaning and maintenance of the facilities in which we operate including vehicles
and outreach centers.
• Perform additional tasks as directed by supervisor
Skills Required: (specific minimum competencies required for job performance):
• Ability to work flexible hours/schedule
• Ability to lift up to 30 pounds and complete light house work
• Ability to maintain youth confidentiality
• Effective crisis intervention skills
• Effective verbal and written communication skills
• Must be able to walk for long periods of time
Required Qualifications(Education and past employment experience):
• College courses in human services or related fields required
• High School Diploma/GED
• Valid and clean NYS driver’s license• Experience with at-risk population preferred
• Background check upon hire
•Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by their direct supervisor.
This job description does not create an employment contract, implied or other than at "at will" employment relationship.